History of Celebration
Celebration Lutheran Church was chartered in 1984 and is a fellowship of men, women, and children from the Sartell/St. Cloud area of Minnesota who trust in the saving grace of God through Jesus Christ. We gather each week for worship, and we are strengthened in our relationship with our Savior Jesus Christ through participation in the Lord’s gifts of the Word and Sacraments. We are a fellowship of many unique people who respond to God’s gracious gifts by seeking to live lives of praise, service, justice, and mercy in the context of our daily callings.
- 80 families indicate interest in having a Lutheran church in Sartell
- In May, approval received to form a new mission church in Sartell
- Feb: Pastor Paul Birkeland accepts call to become first pastor of Celebration
- April: Orientation meeting held in High School cafeteria
- June 10: First worship service celebrated – with 175 in attendance.
- First worship in new building, August 31
- Baptized membership passes 500
- Additional second worship service added
- Building expansion program, consisting of Fellowship Hall, ten classrooms and two offices.
- Pastor Birkeland accepts a call to a parish in Montana. Last service: June 7
- Pastor Bud Nelson serves as interim pastor until September.
- Pastor Tom Wright called and conducted his first service Sept 13.
- Call committee formed to hire a second pastor
- First full time Director of Music Ministries hired
- Pastors Elizabeth and Larry Strenge installed. Later that year, Pastor Larry became mission developer for Living Waters Lutheran in Sauk Rapids
- Baptized membership passes 1000
- We hire our first Youth and Family Director
- Purchase of the Blue House lot
- Addition of a third Sunday worship service and second Sunday School hour
- We purchased our current 20-acre lot in Morningstar.
- Pastor Tom Wright assumes the role of lead pastor.
- Baptized membership passes 1500
- We expanded to 3 full time youth and family ministries directors to better meet the needs of our children, youth and young families.
- We welcomed 157 new members and baptized a church-high 52 people
- Groundbreaking for new building Oct. 7
- Last worship service at our old building July 28.
- First worship service in our new building August 3.
- Building dedication September 21
- Baptized membership passes 2000
- Pastor Jeff Sackett accepts call to become Celebration's lead pastor.